Apr 14, 2012

Traveling in Indonesia

In the interior of Sumatra there's a town called Bukit Lawang, located next to a nature preserve.


There are orang-utans in the area (translates to "forest people"). They're free to come and go but not technically wild because rangers make food available to them.




There's a lake also in the interior of Sumatra called Toba, historical home of the Batak people. I like their architectural styles...




Rice...


From Sumatra I traveled to Jakarta on the island of Java. In the city center there's the "national monument." The picture below shows just a bit of the base.




Dutch rule of Indonesia ended during World War II when the Japanese took over, but there are still some crumbling buildings from the Dutch period.


Obama went to school in Jakarta when he was a kid. Locals that I've talked with love this - I guess he has a few fans in Jakarta...


Today I flew from Jakarta to Bali - just in time for my birthday tomorrow!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I didn't know you had colored your hair red! You look great! ;)
CH

Anonymous said...

Wow! Your birthday in beautiful Bali. What a great place to turn the big 3-0. Enjoy!

I wonder if the Batak architecture has some special spiritual or practical significance. Very unusual.

I like the "Obama Fans Club" and that he's known and admired there. Neat.

Thanks for posting and keeping us posted.

Love and smiles,
MCHJ

DJ said...

It's April 15th here (but already the 16th where you are), and I'm wishing you a very happy 30th birthday and lots more traveling adventures. Thanks for the interesting post.
Love,
Dad

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday, Karl!
Theresa

Post a Comment